Friday, February 12, 2010

Fluffy

Alright, I know I am from Montana. It is a normal occurrence to have feet of snow on the ground. It is normal to have snow nine months out of the year. It is normal for people to drive in feet of snow and schools do not close down until it is twenty below with three feet of snow.
That being said, I now live in Georgia. It rarely snows in Georgia. There are no snow plows, snow tires, or snow shovels. Schools close down if there is simply a chance of snow. If there is snow in the forecast, people flock to the local supermarket and load up on milk, eggs, and bread, as though the world were coming to an end. They bundle up as though a single snow flake has the power to kill. 'It hasn't snowed for decades', 'it never snows here'... plenty of people have told me things like this. I know of teenagers here who have never seen a real snow flake in their lives. And yet, in the past four years that we have been here it has snowed almost every year.
Do you hear me complain? No. Do you see me make an extra trip to the grocery store? No. Do you see me walk outside in two inches of snow without a parka, long underwear, snow boots, and gloves? Probably. I never thought I would miss the snow. Ten months a year of defrosting the car, scraping the windshield, and shoveling walks... and yet every time it snows down here I get a little giddy. Memories of white Christmas's, the taste of real maple syrup on fresh snow, snowball fights and snow angels all come rushing back. It reminds me of my family and friends in Montana. It reminds me of my grandparents farm.
And I guess, especially today, it reminds me of the simple pleasure of watching a big, fluffy, white snow flake floating from the sky. I hear my kids ooooh and aaaah over the sight of growing piles of snow. They giggle and beg to go out and play... and somewhere deep inside I remember what it feels like... I remember how it used to be...


I dedicate this post to two special people who are no longer making snow angels... Clarence Tackes and Ron Imel... You two have left a lasting memory within my heart. Thank you for sending me some snow for my birthday!

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Jessica...it made me realize how different things are down here. The reason people rush to the supermarket is because we have wimpy power lines that can't stand a little snow once in a while. LOL!

    ReplyDelete