Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pain in the... back

I never had any kind of back pain until I had Ayla. I gained a lot if weight during the 41 week pregnancy. She was also 'sunny-side-up' which means for the 35 hours that I was in labor, I was in back-labor. Once she arrived, by force, I had some minor back pain from the epidural.

Two years later, I had Zach. Except a severe spinal headache a few days after the C-section, I felt alright for the most part. I lost a lot of weight and felt okay.

Then, I started having back and knee pain. Sometimes my shoulders would hurt. We didn't do anything about it.

After I had the miscarriage, I never got rid of the extra weight and my pain increased. It still wasn't bad and it wasn't an all-the-time sort of thing.

Well, after all the issues with Caleb's delivery, I have been in almost constant pain.

It's like this...

0 = no pain
1 = minor discomfort
2 = moderate discomfort
3 = major discomfort, starting to really hurt
4 = it hurts, minor but hurting
5 = it hurts, really
6 = pain, 'you should take something for that' pain
7 = more pain, 'you should get that checked out' pain
8 = don't want to move pain
9 = want to curl up in the fetal position and cry pain
10 = I must be dying pain

On an average day, I wake up at a 3.
If I have to run errands like buying groceries, or if I have to clean house - I'll reach a 6 easily.
Sundays, after getting the kids ready/fixing lunch/2 services holding Caleb/standing and walking around visiting - by the time I get to bed I'm often an 8.
For the past 2 hours, I've been at a 9.

But I have 3 kids at home that have to be fed, cared for, and such... Laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning... a dog to feed and let outside... not to mention any PLP/H2H work that I might have to do.

The pain in my back is bad, but I think it is also causing other issues.
I often have a 'knot' feeling in my left shoulder and a pain that runs all the way down my arm in to my left wrist. It makes it hard to lift, carry, hold, grasp, twist... well, you get the idea.
I also have a lot of problems with my knees. They get weak and won't hold my weight. I also get pains that run down my legs.
I often have a sore neck/shoulders.

Then last week, Wednesday night, something 'new' happened. I was sitting and felt light headed and dizzy. I have anemia, so I'm used to the lightheaded feeling, but I was sitting. I was holding Caleb, so I put him down. Then I had 3 fingers on my left hand go numb and then start to tingle as if they had fallen asleep. Then I got the same tingly feeling on my face - around my eyebrows, my cheekbones, and the tops of my ears. My vision blurred and then I had a bright spot in my eyes. It all lasted less than a minute and then I had a horrible headache the rest of the night.

Well, that was scary. Bryan and I decided I needed to find out what is wrong with my back. We were going to save up the money for the appointment and then go. Well, a dear friend of mine found out about Wednesday and gave me a check to pay for the appointment.

Tomorrow morning - Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - I am going in to find out how bad the 'significant curve' in my spine is and see if that is what is causing all these other issues. I don't care what is wrong - I know God has healed me already - but I need relief from the constant pain. I want to be able to do my duty as a mom. I want to be able to have fun with my kids. I want to be able to walk without limping.

I'll do my best to blog about the visit, but no promises... Not sure who reads this anyhow...

2 comments:

  1. I will read whenever you feel like sharing what's inside that head of yours. I can't do much in the way of money or help your pain but am always here to listen when you need a friend. I have to believe things will get better and that He has a plan for us all.

    ReplyDelete