Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Princess Tea Party - Scroll invitations



Alright, So I hate to admit it... but, sniff... my little princess is turning 5!


This year, she decided that she wanted to have a tea party. Of course, nothing she does is simple, so we have to have a Princess Tea Party.


Since we have a theme, the next step is the invitation. I decided to make little scrolls with the invitation information.


First, I selected the wording. My invitation reads like this:


Your presence is requested at a royal princess tea party. To celebrate the birthday of your friend Princess (Name). Please arrive at the castle by (Time) on (date). The festivities should conclude around (time). The royal tea party will include tea, snacks, and cake. We would be honored if you would wear your princess dresses or pretty tea party clothes. We'll count our teacups one by one, so do let us know if you'll join the fun. (phone number). Castle (name) is located at (address).


I centered it on an 8.5 by 11 page and use a script font.


Then, to get a rough edge, I placed a ruler on the page. I placed the outside edge of the ruler about 1cm from the furthest edge of my text...


Then, I gently pulled down the edge of the page. I wanted an uneven edge, so I tore unevenly, in and out...


It should look a little like this...


Repeat this process on the other long side. You could also do the top and bottom, but I left mine straight.


Now, it's time to age the paper so it looks like an antique scroll. Seep a black tea bag for a minute, then gently squeeze most of the water out. Gently rub the tea bag on the torn edge of the paper. It will darken a little as it dries, so a little goes a long way. It helps to place the tea bag back in the water occasionally, so keep it handy.


Once the paper dries, it will have a light color to it. It will also curl a little because of the moisture.


Make sure the paper is dry, then roll it tightly. I rolled from the bottom up, so that the text would be read in order.


Once you are done, it will look like this.


I cut gold shimmer organza ribbon into 12 inch lengths. Then, tie a ribbon around each invitation.

Tada!!! It's simple, but it really conveys the Princess Tea Party theme. You could easily use different colors of ink, paper, or ribbon. Get creative! These would work well with a Knight themed party or a fairytale theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment